MyBib eDoc® is a web based workflow-management-system
for electronic document delivery, catalog enrichment and to control digitisation processes. With MyBib eDoc® different business courses in academic libraries are mapped and managed.
Supplementary components of MyBib eDoc® workflow processes are:
- the scan software BCS-2®
- the BCS-2® ClippingSuite for recognition, analysis and preparation of newspapers, magazines and clipping collections
- software C-3 capture the content of periodicals
- the deployment platform MyBib eL® for presenting digital copies and full texts
National Document Delivery and Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
National Document Delivery and Interlibrary Loan (ILL) with MyBib eDoc®
MyBib eDoc® controls on the basis of the respective local system the workflows of
- electronic document delivery
- copy delivery
- books taken out on loan
The multi-client capable MyBib eDoc® server at the center allows libraries to process multiple delivery services via one platform, such as
- OCLC ILL WorldShare (also for national deliveries)
- particular delivery services
- search systems for searching in the WebOPAC and the reconciliation of licenses
Success Stories/User Reports
- Cost consolidation and accelerated processes for journal article delivery systems and Inter- library loans at the Bavarian State Library (BSB)
- Innovative Interlibrary Loan System at the Bavarian State Library (BSB)
- Excellence and initiative: Munich Technical University’s library sets standards
- New document delivery service concept_a system change at the Goettingen State and University Library
International Document Delivery
International Loan and Copy Delivery MyBib eDoc®
For a lot of libraries supplying their users with loans and copies from abroad is an essential part of their service offer. MyBib eDoc® centrally assumes the complete workflow control of the international loan and copy delivery – from the request to the processing and delivery through to billing.
Increasing the efficiency
A time- and cost-saving workflow is offered with the connection of MyBib eDoc® to OCLC World Share in combination with the presentation component MyBib eL®. This linkage allows a copyright-compliant provision / delivery of digital copies. Not only the quality improvement in comparison to the previously used fax delivery and the saving of postage costs are on the “plus side”, but also the rapid handling and automated billing.
Success Stories/User Reports
- Livrer les copies de la bibliothèque de stockage coopérative de Suisse dans le monde entier efficacement et en toute sécurité
- International interlibrary loan in the context of OCLC World Share® ILL and its integration in MyBib eDoc® at the Goettingen State and University Library (SUB Goettingen)
- International interlibrary loan in the context of OCLC World Share® ILL and the integration of the presentation platform MyBib eL® via MyBib eDoc® at the German National Library of Economics – Leibniz Information Centre for Economics (ZBW)
Collection and Retro Digitisation
Workflow control for collection and retro digitisation witht MyBib® eDoc
Within the collection and retro digitisation MyBib eDoc® controls all processes of a structured and transparent image and full text digitisation.
In order to provide digital data for scientific use, to allow global access and to preserve endangered pieces for posterity, the requests from libraries and archives are considered as well as the DFG guidelines. For the presentation of digital collections MyBib eDoc® provides interfaces to the presentation systems (platforms) MyBib eL® and Kitodo (Goobi).
Stocking LMS with MyBib eDoc®
MyBib eDoc® manages the workflow to provide digitised teaching and learning materials in Learning Management Systems (LMS) were they are made available to a group of users for a limited period of time.
MyBib eDoc® facilitates posting content conform to the guidelines of § 52a of the German Copyright Act. The system takes care of verifying the legal framework and coordinates the process up to the upload of the digital objects or links to the e resources in the virtual classroom. Consideration is given to, i.a.,
- ECB audit availability of electronic resources
- compensation claims
The automated MyBib eDoc® application makes it easier for teachers to upload material to e-Learning sites and ensures that human and financial resources are saved.
Campus Delivery Service with MyBib eDoc®
MyBib eDoc® controls all ‘campus orders “, ie orders of university members from the stock of the University Library (OPAC); from order entry to the scanning process up to delivery and billing.
MyBib eDoc® takes the organizational structures into account, defines delivery instances and stocks and supports the workflow with an interface to automatically check the availability with the ECB.
With MyBib eDoc® the staff of the campus delivery service is always able to check the current status of an order, which can be controlled individually as required. The patron is also informed about the respective processing status of their order.
Success Story/User Report
LMU: Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Mass Digitisation with MyBib® eDoc
In context of the mass digitisation several hundred up to many thousand pages are scanned daily. The aim is to bring logistical challenges in line with library requirements, such as
- Organisation of a workflow with many parties
- Integration of mass digitization into the “daily business”
- Complete workflow control
MyBib eDoc® is a control system that coordinates, controls and monitors all requirements and procedures in the context of mass digitization, for example
- Registration and documentation of scans processes and process dat
- Control of the digitisation process and the post-processing
Monitoring of the returning procedure and the transmission of images and structure data for further use (possibly long-term archiving, among others)
Success Stories/User Reports
Catalogue Enrichment with MyBib eDoc®
In the context of catalogue enrichment MyBib eDoc®adds, in an automated procedure, further information to catalogue entries of a library catalogue. Catalogue enrichment is more than the regular descriptive and subject cataloguing because it includes for example the scanning of tables of contents and OCR.
No duplicates and avoiding duplication of work
The MyBib eDoc® workflow ensures amongst others a duplicate check, a data synchronization with the catalogue of the German National Library and the respective library system is initiated before the scan thus ensuring that no duplicates are scanned and integrated. The MyBib eDoc® statistics functions provides transparency about the respective production status and an overview of the scanned TOCs or registered pages and performed OCR. The contents are fully indexed because of the OCR processing.
The feeding of data into different catalogue systems and the Web OPAC facilitates a targeted and successful literature search and increases the visibility of the own library collections.
Success Stories/User Reports
- The 180T Project in Cologne or How do I Process 180,000 Books in Four Months?
- The library of the Ibero-American Institute (IAI) Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation in Berlin: C-3 Periodical Server for Automated Cataloguing
- This service provides libraries, which do not conduct catalogue enrichment, with the opportunity to enrich their own OPAC via searchable tables of contents.
- Libraries and / or networks can synchronize their OPAC with the central MyBib TOX® database to improve the quality of their own data set with additional tables of contents.
- The collaborative approach avoids duplication of work for catalogue enrichment.
The basis for the availability and duplicate check is the central MyBib TOX® database. MyBib TOX® is updated daily and contains ca.
- 1.8 million scanned and searchable tables of contents for scientific titles (nearly all new scientific titles since 2005)
- 900,000 German-language titles
- 300,000 English-language titles
- 100,000 Spanish-language titles
- 300,000 other titles, spread across 25 languages
In specialized libraries and former special collections gray literature and conference papers were included in addition to the commercial publications. Thematic focus groups include Medicine, pharmacy, law and technology.
The ISBN is used to check is the title already has a table of contents available.
If successful, it will be marked as a hit and is provided as part of the update service for the integration into the OPAC.
Benefits for libraries and Library networks
- avoiding duplication of work
- no duplicates due to integrated availability control (80% of all titles have already been scanned!)
- fully automatic process, only getting the title, putting the title back and scanning are “manual” activities
- solution available as a cloud service via library networks (momentarily only in Germany )
Electronic Presentation Systems
Stocking Presentation Systems with MyBib eDoc®
In addition to the production and delivery MyBib TOX® controls the publication of digital data in presentation systems such as MyBib eL® and Kitodo.presentation (Goobi). The data can then be processed so that it can also be integrated in other platforms, such as Europeana and DDB Digital Library, – of course while taking into account DFG requirements, such as generating METS/MODS format.