- BCS-2® Overview
- BCS-2® Express: Scan Software for Self-Service Scanning
- BCS-2® Office: Scan Software for standard workflows
- BCS-2® Professional: Scan Software for complex workflows, indexing and (post) processing
- BCS-2® Classic: Scan Software for Digitisation of all Kinds of Bound and Printed Materials
- BCS-2® Connection to Billing/Payment Systems
The scan software BCS-2® simplifies quality conscious digitizing of bound, printed or graphic material.
The intuitive operation of the scan software optimizes your workflows! BCS-2® is modular and has an application-oriented user interface. All BCS-2® products are tailored to the different application areas.
Following new BCS-2® products are available:
- BCS-2® Express for self service areas
- BCS-2® Office for standardized workflows
- BCS-2® Professional for complex workflows, indexing and (post) processing
|Goobi Presentation||n. a.||Option||Option|
|Kitodo Presentation||n. a.||Option||Option|
|MyBib® Document delivery||n. a.||Option||Option||Option|
|MyBib® Catalogue enrichment||n. a.||Option||Option||Option|
|MyBib® Mass digitization||n. a.||Option||Option||Option|
| Notes to the table above:
|billing systems 1)|
|Hoer-Muenzer||Option||e. o. l.|
|Schomäcker-Card RS250||Option||e. o. l.|
|ALEPH User administration||Option||Option||Option||e. o. l.|
|Gemalto||Option||Option||Option||e. o. l.|
|LDAP||Option||Option||Option||e. o. l.|
|PaperCut||Option||Option||Option||e. o. l.|
|SIP2||Option||Option||Option||e. o. l.|
|SLNP||Option||Option||Option||e. o. l.|
| Notes to the table above:
|Installation time approx.||10 min||10 min||10 min||10 min|
|Windows (recommendation)||7, 8.1, 10||7, 8.1, 10||7, 8.1, 10||7, 8.1, 10|
|PC minimum||4 GB RAM||4 GB RAM||4 GB RAM||4 GB RAM|
|Screen||> 17 Zoll||> 17 Zoll||> 17 Zoll||> 17 Zoll|
Note to all displayed overviews /tables
- BCS-2® Classic is the first generation of the scan software for digitizing and post-processing bound and printed material of all types. With a valid maintenance and support contract the continuance of this product is protected until 2025.
- Technical changes, errors and printing errors reserved.
BCS-2® Express: Scan Software for Self-Service Scanning
is an intuitive scan software to digitise printed material and microfilms/microfiches. The solution, which is especially used in the self service areas of libraries, is characterised by a clear and concise designed user interface.
The customisable interface makes BCS-2® Express attractive for each application and by focusing on the key features and large controls (buttons) the program is self-explanatory.
Illustration: Example of a BCS-2® user interface with scan ( authotithy: “Liebesfrühling” F. Rückert, Sauerländer Verlag Frankfurt/Main)
Application areas of BCS-2® Express
- scan in self-service area of libraries, archives and public institutions
- decentralized scanning in companies
Advantages of BCS-2® Express
- easy and fast operating
- self-configurable interface with self-explanatory buttons
- minimal administration effort
Functions of BCS-2® Express
- automatic and manual post-processing functions
- Image Plus function: automatically corrects the reading direction, the skew and clips black boarders = THREE post-processing steps by pressing just ONE button!
- page splitting
Connections to scanners and billing systems
The BCS-2® Express versions are tailored to the controls and features of the connected scanner model or billing system.
Verified connections in use:
- Bookeye® 2 and 4 overhead scanners from Image Access
- Canon cameras
- OpticBook bookscanner A3 and A4 from Plustek
- billing system RS 250 from Schomäcker
- microfilm/-fiche scanner MS6000/7000 Konica Minolta
- other connections are in the test phase
Technical information about BCS-2® Express
- operation: touch screen, mouse, keyboard
- storage formats: PDF, TIFF, MTIFF, JPEG
- output: USB, hard disk (server), optional: Email and print
- system requirements: Windows 7/8.1/10, 4 GB RAM, screen > 17 inches
A new IT infrastructure with BCS-2® Express at the National Library of Luxembourg: Recently the scan software BCS-2® Express, designed for self service areas, is in use in the National Library in Luxembourg. BCS-2® Express manages the central control of the book- and microfilm scanners under a unified and multilingual user interface via touchscreen.
The particularities of the Luxembourg BCS-2® Express application lie in the connection to the Follow-Me-Printing-System “Papercut” (account-bound print job management) and the connection to the library system ALEPH from ExLibris. At the same time the use of inexpensive and standardized card readers is enabled through the integration of the Windows smart card subsystem.
BCS-2® Office: Scan Software for standard workflows
is a scan software with a broad range of applications and easy to use post processing functions. It supports a variety of scanners and workflows.
A clear and intuitive user interface makes digitising various material, from simple documents such as invoices and delivery slips, over bound material to large cards, easy. In connection with digital cameras, paintings and three-dimensional objects can also be digitised and enriched with corresponding object data.
BCS-2® Office enables an easy and optionally automated integration and processing of both newly created and imported scans into workflows. The results can be exported in the default TIFF, PNG, JPEG and PDF formats. It is also possible to directly forward the data via MS Outlook or similar.
illustration: BCS-2® Office user interface with scan
Connection to scanners, digital cameras and multifunction devices
Via a TWAIN interface flatbed, document, overhead scanners as well as modern digital copiers which possess a TWAIN driver (Version 2.3) can be operated with BCS-2® Office. For some scanners with specific manufacturer- features as well as selected digital cameras, special plugins are available.
- post processing of newly created and imported scans
- image indexing
- document delivery
- national and international interlibrary loan e.g. OCLC WorldShare
- catalogue enrichment for monographs and periodicals
- scan client for MyBib®– applications in academic libraries
- integration of cameras into the workflow for “object acquisition”
- collection of metadata for the picture and transfer to the object database
Company / Administration
- scan of incoming invoices, files and lab journals
- press reviews and press evaluation
- retro-conversion of old stocks
- intuitive operation through self-explanatory icons/button
- application-specific configurable interface
- multilingual interface allowing additional languages with Arabic, Cyrillic and Asian characters
- short installation and training times
All BCS-2® Office data is stored locally. There is no automatic data transfer/storage, no updating or reading of operating data in the background. The control of all data remains with the user.
- “ImagePlus”: automatically corrects the reading direction, the skew and clips black boarders
- image parameter: virtual “rescan”, for the adaption of image parameters to create a new image without a new scan
- unicode, IPv6 support, Windows 7, 8.1, 10
illustration: BCS-2® Office , Function „Image-Parameter” (Source: „Liebesfrühling“ F. Rückert, Sauerländer Verlag Frankfurt/Main)
Options and Upgrade Possibilities
The basic functions of BCS-2® Office can be expanded as needed. Possible options:
- Clear order management with the “JobSuite”
- An order is created for each scan job so that an overview of all scan jobs directly via the user interface is possible.
- Each job can be indexed, e.g. invoice/contract number, ISBN/ISSN, etc.
- Simple indexing and structuring with the “IndexSuite”
- indexing on chapter and page levels
- structural data acquisition for a digital image, e.g. for books (book cover, table of contents, chapters 1 to x) or the administration (contract, appendix 1 to x, correspondence)
- Quick creation of full texts with the “OCR Suite”
- Digitised data is completely processed via OCR as full text.
- With the “zonal OCR” texts can be transferred via “drag & drop” into index fields.
- Good working ergonomics through customizable user interface
- Individual plugins are available for some scanners and digital cameras without standard drivers and interfaces (USB/RJ45/TWAIN) or scanners with additional functions (for example, operation via scanner panel or book cradle control). This allows special device functions to be integrated into the user interface
User manuals and technical descriptions
On our documentation site you will find manuals and further documentation to our software solutions. These structured reference books will help you to use the software, provide answers to questions and help to optimize the application in your surroundings.
This link leads to the documentation website.
BCS-2® Professional: Scan Software for complex workflows, indexing and (post) processing
is a newly designed scan software for automating and unifying digitisation processes. BCS-2® simplifies the quality-conscious digitalisation of bound, printed or graphic materials.
The workflow and the user interface of the scan software can be adapted to the respective requirements. BCS-2® is modular and supports the functions of the certified scanner models.
The scan software enables automated, optionally manual, post processing of scans on external workstations, detached from the scanners. Images can be seamlessly integrated into the workflow management system MyBib eDoc® or in the electronic presentation platform MyBib eL®.
Illustration: Example of a BSC-2® Professional interface with OCR editor in a TEST workflow using Tesseract. (Original: „Alpine Flowers”, by L. and Prof. Dr. C. Schröter, Zurich Albert Raustein)
Applications areas of BCS-2® Professional
- service scanning with indexing, post processing and quality assurance
- digitisation in libraries, archives and public institutions
Advantages of BCS-2® Professional
- intuitive to use through customisable user interface and self-explanatory buttons
- workflows tailored to the application
- modular and scalable
Features and functions of BCS-2® Professional
- automatic and manual post-processing functions (optional as batch process)
- ImagePlus: automatic deskew + crop + rotation in one function
- automatic segmentation
- crop of multiple segments of a digital copy (multicrop) with production of single images
- use and change of different OCR engines (ABBYY and Tesseract) within a job
- zonal text recognition
- freely configurable and multilingual user interface
- clear display of all jobs with job information and image preview
- flexible job and page indexing for generating meta- and structural data
- connectivity to third party systems, such as MyBib eDoc®, MyBib eL®, Goobi, VZG i.a.
- stable 24/7 use
Workflows of BCS-2® Professional
BCS-2® workflows depict clearly defined business procedures and applications. These are composed of for example job and page index, OCR, meta- and structural data and the transfer to third party system and/or applications which can directly process the data. BCS-2® Professional users can define workflows themselves or let them be defined by service providers or select from a pool of predefined standard workflows. Typical applications are:
- national, international and campus internal document delivery
- catalogue enrichment
- collection and retro digitisation
- mass digitisation
- delivery to presentation systems (MyBib eL®/Goobi)
- delivery to e-learning platforms
Order management of BCS-2® Professional
- integrated order management, administration and export as well as (re-) import of orders
- adaption to own requirements through self-definable order types
- definition of order indexes for metadata capture, export formats, naming rules and filing folders in profiles by the user
- post processing, printing and deleting orders
- insert and delete of individual images within a job
Illustration 1: BCS-2® Professional multicrop (define and cut multiple segments in a digital copy)
Illustration 3: BCS-2® insert detected segments as new images
Technical information about BCS-2® Professional
- operation: touch screen, mouse, keyboard
- storage formats: PDF, TIFF, MTIFF, JPEG
- output: USB, hard disk (server), e-mail, print
- configuration: surface according to customer requirements, language
- installation requirements: Windows 7/8.1/10, 4GB of RAM, screen > 17 inches
BCS-2® Classic: Scan Software for Digitisation of all Kinds of Bound and Printed Materials
is an established scan software for digitising, post processing and electronic publishing of all kinds of bound and printed materials.
Overhead-, flatbed-, document- and microfilm scanners, copiers as well as digital cameras can be controlled via a uniform user interface. The results of scan processes can be transferred seamlessly to the workflow management system MyBib eDoc® or the presentation system MyBib eL®.
Since 2015 there are NEW BCS-2® scan software versions with BCS-2® Express and BCS-2® Professional, these are perfectly tailored for the respective applications and will gradually replace the classic variant.
Example of a BCS-2® Classic user interface
Application areas of BCS-2® Classic
- creating digitised data
- scanning in self-service areas of libraries, archives and public institutions via touchscreen
- publishing on the Internet/Intranet
- connection to e-mail systems
- connection to CMS, DMS, archive and workflow management systems
Advantages of BCS-2® Classic
- uniform user interface for controlling a multitude of scanners and cameras
- order-based management and processing of scan jobs
Features and functions of BCS-2® Classic
- user defined scan formats
- batch scanning of document batches, chapters or books
- black border removal and deskew
- automatic rotation after scanning
- zooming, rotating, inverting
- adoption of cut-outs or all images in other Windows applications
- thumbnails to display all scans of a scan order in a small format
- format adaptation of different original sizes to a target format
- flexible cropping, masking and page splitting
- MAPI interface for emailing and faxing of scanned documents directly from BCS-2®
- multi scan module for the connection of multiple scanners
- format converter for GIF, PNG, JPEG, TIFF
- scan profiles for different types printed material
- single print or print of entire jobs as well as print parallel to scan
- allocation of individual watermarks
Original image: In the original image the original is set very oblique. The ImageSuite calculates the book fold and outline of the submittal (dotted line). The image is then cropped based on these lines.
Result: Result of the operation are two individually cropped images.
Order management with BCS-2® Classic
- integrated order management
- export, as well as (re-) import of orders
- adjustment to own requirements through self-definable order types
- definition of job indices for metadata capture
- post processing, printing and deletion of scan orders
- inserting and deleting single images within a job
Integrated Modules of BCS-2® Classic
- Electronic Endorser
Options of BCS-2® Classic
- barcode recognition
- PDF, PDF/A, searchable PDF
- OCR (via ABBYY engine)
- transaction module for the definition of actions which are performed in a batch
- report generator for customized reports
- IndexSuite for individual metadata capture
- Export Suite for customised output of documents, including metadata in varying formats as well as for launching external applications
Technical information about BCS-2® Classic
- TIFF, Multi-page TIFF
- PDF, PDF/A-1a and PDF / A-1b
- BMP, JPEG, JPEG2000, PNG, GIF
- Windows 7/8.1/10
Languages of BCS-2® Classic
- German, English
- further on request: Via the BCS-2® language module the adaption of other languages is possible at all times.
Connections to BCS-2® Classic
- overhead scanner: Bookeye® (Image Access), OS 12000 (Zeutschel)
- document and flatbed scanner: Avision, Canon, Fujitsu, HP, Panasonic, Plustek
- microfilm scanner: Canon, Minolta, Kodak
- digital copier: Canon, Ricoh
- digital SLR cameras: EOS (Canon)
- others on request
Module-discriptiones BCS-2® Classic
- BCS-2® Classic: Basic Module
- BCS-2® Classic: Barcode-Module
- BCS-2® Classic: Electronic Endorser
- BCS-2® Classic: ExportSuite
- BCS-2® Classic: ImageSuite
- BCS-2® Classic: IndexSuite
- BCS-2® Classic: Journal- and Reportgenerator
- BCS-2® Classic: Multimasking-Module
- BCS-2® Classic OCR-Module
- BCS-2® Classic: PDF- and PDF/A-Modul
- BCS-2® Classic: Web-Publisher with FTP-Module
BCS-2® Connection to Billing/Payment Systems
Cashless: Billing of scan, copy and printing services with BCS-2® Express
ImageWare Components GmbH has tested the connection of BCS-2® Express to the Schomäcker card reader RS 250, thereby providing users with one more feature to optimize their own services. The RS 250 in conjunction with Q Pilot® guarantees the use of different library user cards (as value and account types) to detect various prices and to store transactions.
Connections to other billing/payment systems can be requested, please contact us!